eBooks - Basics
Electronic books or eBooks are available in full text on-line with unlimited access except Safari Tech Books. We subscribe to several collections of eBooks.
Ebook Central eBooks - over 300 eBooks on various categories.
Safari Tech Books Online - 50 IT related eBooks. (Only 3 users have access at the same time)
Informit eBooks - over 300 predominantly Australian eBooks.
Ebscohost eBooks - wide range of eBooks via Ebscohost subscriptions
ScienceDirect eBooks - selected science related titles
Oxford reference online - dictionaries, encyclopedias and other reference titles over 300, on a variety of topics.
Use the following link to access all these collections. e-Books
You may need to login with your Box Hill Institute ID and password for some of the collections.
Most of the ebooks from the above collections are subject to copyright.
Benefits of using ebooks:
- Instantaneous access from any location with Internet access via studentweb
- Many ebooks are downloadable to your computer and/or smart phone/tablet device.
- Ebooks are portable. open it in a laptop, notebook or any device of your choice via WI-FI.
- unlimited numbers of people can access at one time (except Safari books)
- Can contain audio, video, and animations which can enhance the explanation.
- Can search, copy and print
Usually ebook files will be available in either PDF or ePub format.
Generally etext books have quizzes, interactive facilities and learning materials.So far many of the text book publishers do not licence etext books to academic libraries with unlimited access. Although they can purchase individually, situation may change in future.